Wednesday, October 11, 2017

For Friday: Narayan, The Guide, Chapters 1-5 (only added one chapter to last Wedneday's reading)

NOTE: Since I got the impression that not everyone had read the novel, I want to do an overview of the first Four Chapters, as well as add Chapter Five for Friday. No questions, but we will do an in-ciass response when you come to class. I talked a bit about the difficulty of being a postcolonial writer in class on Wednesday, so consider how Narayan writes between two worlds--English and Indian--and what he translates for a Western audience and what he doesn't. Also, consider how much of Raju's story is specifically Eastern--drawing on The Bhagavad Gita, in particular.

See you then! 

1 comment:

  1. Q1- I think Raju agrees to follow through with "fasting" because he is scared of what might happen if he does not. I don't think he actually believes he is divine. He says he knows that rain will eventually come so he is hopeful it is soon enough that he can buy belief with it. He plans on deceiving all of the villagers it seems. He talks about planning his meals and how to keep it from being discovered. I don't think he has any real intention of actually fasting or for rain to have anything to do with him. I'm not sure if he plans on coming clean to Velan. He starts to set himself up for a very private conversation with him, but we don't yet know what for. Maybe he will tell him the truth of his life, or maybe he will tell a story to keep his story going.

    Q3- I think this shows just how far up Rosie came. I'm assuming dancing is like "erotic dancing" to us. She was raised in it though and was taught it is an art, while those outside of her traditions see it as filth and unfit. While I don't think in the west she would be near as offensive in Indian culture she can be considered provocative much more easily. I think this is why Raju's mother and Rosie's husband look down on her so badly. It is like showing a piece of her that is supposed to have been snuffed out that minute she decided to marry and not become what her mother was. I think Rosie truly views dancing as an art and it is sad that these others see it as unholy. She will never fit in fully in the higher classes if she continues to love and want to dance.

    Anna Turlington

    ReplyDelete